Tuesday, April 19, 2005

What Does the Pope Have to Do With My Taxes?

Sometime last week I went to my appointment at H&R block to get my taxes done. M made the appointment and I went in. This was fair because he's gone to the tax guy every single year that we've been married. So this time it was my turn. When he made the appointment, M told the folks at H&R Block our situation -- moved from out of state, he was self-employed last year, my company paid the moving expenses -- so that they would know what they were getting into.

I show up at my appointed time, wait my turn, and sit down with the tax person. I started off by reiterating our situation. Just as I was saying that we moved from California in 2004, she started shaking her head. She told me that she was a newbie and not qualified to do my taxes and she was sorry. I explained that they should have known about my situation because my husband told them when he made the appointment and they should have somebody qualified to help me. She said that they couldn't do my taxes that day because the Pope had died.

Wait a minute. Rewind.... they couldn't do my taxes because the Pope died?

I calmly said, "No disrespect, but 'm not sure what the Pope's dying has to do with my taxes." She said, "his funeral was today."

Oh.... What?

She continued, "and our three tax experts took the day off to watch his funeral."

So I couldn't get my taxes done because the Pope died......

2 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

You quack me up! But - hey - what DOES the Pope's death have to do with tax time? I mean, get real, business is business! Don't cha think?

CaliforniaGrammy said...

P.S. - did they do them Wednesday? You should get some kind of discount for sure! Then you can put that discount into the alms basin at the Catholic church!