Wednesday, October 31, 2007

King Tut and Ben Kanobi

We have survived another Halloween and the kids had a great time. T was King Tut and R was Ben Kanobi(the young Obi Wan Kanobi from Star Wars). M and I made their costumes last weekend and they turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. M found a patter for R's costume online, but it was for an adult. M figured that R was about two-thirds the size of an adult, so he cut all of the measurements by one-third and used a T-square to draw it out on the brown fleece that we bought. It wasn't so hard to sew, but was just a bit tricky to gather the fleece in the back of the hood. (R doesn't have the hood up in the pictures.) I designed T's costume using a glue gun and sewing a bit for the head dress. M and I tag-teamed on T's staff. M cut down a piece of pvc pipe he had. T and I spray painted it gold; M screwed in the ornament on top; and I wrapped and glued the ribbon around it. I had fun with T as he helped with all of the decorations of his costume -- lots of gold and jewels :>



I was able to scoot out of work early to help out in T's classroom for his Halloween party. Here he is sitting with his buddy, Black Spiderman


Here is R as Ben Kanobi in his school parade. Can you tell that he feels pretty good about his costume?
For the third in a row (I'd call it a tradition) we had our friends, the H's, over for dinner and trick or treating. As you remember, they live in the country on 40 acres and don't have a neighborhood to trick or treat in. Their son dressed up as a knight. Notice the very solomn poses all the boys took in this picture. I tried to get them to smile, but they were in character, so to speak.

And here are the boys checking out R's loot at the end of a profitable trick or treating night.



6 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

You guys did such a great job on those costumes, I'm so proud . . . man! (S, you might want to edit out R's name in the second sentence.)

So clever of M to downsize the pattern for Obi Wan Kanobi. And fabulous job on King Tut, especially on T's staff.

Thanks for these pictures . . . almost as good as being there. I remember it well having dinner with the H's - they are such a nice family. Did you have hot dogs? (I think that's what we had when we were there?)

A.J. said...

Wow, those are fabulous costumes! Just the greatest, really, prize worthy, I'd say!

Great to get a peak at your Halloween too, I've been thinking of you! xoxo

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Ooops . . . I meant Ben Kanobi, not Obi Wan!

Aunt Patty said...

Loved being able to share Halloween with you guys! What a creative couple you two are, making those costumes. Especially that downsizing deal. Those boys just keep getting more handsome!

jennavar said...

I'm so lucky to have such adorable nephews. You guys rock! I love the costumes. I would love to see lil' King Tut "walk like an egyptian...". The picture of R smiling with his glasses.. handsome boy indeed. Good job making the costumes and to think a bit ahead of time (not like my making last year costumes the morning of..) Great pics.. thanks!

grandmaonthelake said...

Love the "made with love" costumes!
King Tut never looked so good...jewels & all.
Ben Kanobi's costume was the coolest! I bet the kids at school were in awe.
Looking very carefully at R's candy collection...I think I saw my name on a couple of those chocolate ones.
Looking forward to thanksgiving with all of you. xoxoxo