Sunday, August 05, 2007

Birthday Weekend Number One



My baby boy turned Eight last Thursday. I know, it's hard for me to believe too. He's such a great kid. We've been celebrating his birthday everyday since. He says "I love extended birthdays!"
Thursday - The Big Day
We let him open his presents before breakfast so that he could play with them all day. After opening presents, I said "what would you like for breakfast -- eggs, cereal, pancakes, or cake and ice cream?" He started jumping up and down and asked, "are you serious mom! Alright, cake and ice cream please!" So that's what we had for breakfast. (As we were eating the chocolate cake, I couldn't help but think about the Bill Cosby skit in which he gives his kids chocolate cake for breakfast and then gets in trouble by his wife.) Anyway, he had unlimited play time with all of his new toys, including his video game that uses a light saber to fight the bad guys -- "I killed Darth Mal mom!". For dinner, he wanted pizza, so M bought frozen cheese pizzas and we had a make-it-yourself topping bar. (I had fresh basil and farmer's market tomatoes on mine. Yummo!) That night he snuggled into bed with his new Ice Hockey quilt that my mom made him.


Friday
We took off early for the two-hour drive to an amusement park that has "two parks in one" - a water park and an amusement park with roller coasters. We had a really lovely day, getting there when it opened, having lunch in the car for a break, and staying until it closed. We got the tip to rent a cabana in the water park, which allowed us to have a rest/nap for an hour in the middle of the day -- nice! We all went on lots of rides together. R and M went on all of the terribly scary rides -- one that M never wants to go on again (picture three "Ss" on there sides - up, down, up, down, up, down...with no time to breathe in between. ) T and I went on all of the spinning rides and he even went on a roller coaster by himself (it was a smaller, kid roller coaster.) R also went on all of the high, high slides in the water park, one that was STRAIGHT DOWN!. He calls himself "danger boy."
Saturday
We spent the day at the beach on the Big Lake near us. T was disappointed that there weren't big waves like there was the last time we were there -- we brought our boogie boards and everything. They did ride some tiny waves, made a HUGE sand castle, and made some friends. It was a really nice day at the beach.

Today, we were supposed to go to a baseball game, but it got rained out. So we played a bunch of board games and introduced the boys to Raiders of the Lost Ark. In between all of that, I did five loads of laundry. Now we're ready for the week. I'll go to work and the boys will go to South American Art Camp -- perfect for my kids. T loves any kind of art. R doesn't love art, but is fascinated by different cultures and history. Nice combo.

3 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Whoa! Who wouldn't like Extended Birthday celebrations. And now wait a minute, R, cake and ice cream for breakfast??? Eggs, milk, wheat flour . . . why not! And then your very favorite topping on your pizza? Man-o-man, what a cool birthday. Now I would have joined your Mom with the tomato and basil, myself.

Great post SS, what a fun weekend you got to have with your family, plus five loads of wash - you're set for the week!

And thanks for the picture of R and the quilt. I've copied that one for my photo album. Great shot . . . his smile is looking like his Dad in that picture. Handsome boy, he is! Love you all.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Hey! I just re-read the blog and I forgot to tell you how neat a South American Art Camp sounds. I wish I could come too, how totally fun! That'll be some good Blog material, that's for sure. What's M gonna do this week?

jennavar said...

Sounds like a great weekend. A great beginning, middle and end. It amazes me how fast time flies through the life of a growing child. Happy birthday nephew R.