Friday, August 17, 2007

Birthday Weekend Number Two

Well, I didn't realilze that this picture was so dark when I took it, but you get the idea. It's M and his folks. We were so lucky that they came to visit for his birthday weekend last weekend. Here's what we did...

They arrived just in time for a great dinner of grilled tri-tip (the meat was part of my father's day present to M), grilled asparagus, a great salad with feta dressing, corn on the cob (picked that day), and blue berry cobbler (my contribution to the dinner.) After cobbler, M opened his presents and we played Pegs and Jokers.

M made a tasty crustless quiche that was really tasty. After breakfast we took off for the club. M's folks took the kids in their car and I'm sure had an earful on the one hour drive. Speaking of the drive, about twenty minutes into it, M asked me if I turned off the coffee maker. Nope. We called his folks in their car to see if they turned it off. Nope. M and I turned around and made the trip home to turn off the very-hot-coffee-maker-that-would-have-burned-down-the-house while the kids and grandparents hung out at one of those really big truck stops and had a nice time waiting for us.

At the club, we had a really wonderful time - swimming, sailing, sunning, and catching frogs. We had a picnic lunch of sandwiches, watermelon, cherries, and carrots at around 2 pm. At about 6pm we left the club and checked into this awesome two bedroom condo that we had rented for the night. It had a spectacular lake view from every room. (This condo is just minutes from our Club.) We went out to dinner and headed back to the condo just in time to see the sun set. Nice.

Brunch was at 10:00 at the club and it was great. Made to order omelets and breakfast sweet breads. Everybody was in heaven. M and his dad headed out to race the first race. Something went wrong on a jibe and they ended up capsizing, took on too much water, and had to be towed in! I was standing on the beach, when I heard some friends yell, "Hey S, isn't that M being towed in. What a bummer!" Then I looked and saw the poor sailboat with its stern completely underwater and M's dad half in the water and half out, trying to put weight on the stern so the bow wouldn't go under too. M and his dad bailed and bailed in time to get out there for the second race. The boys, gramma and I swam and played all day. We went out to dinner at the little place on the lake and then went our separate ways. It was a nice weekend.

For those of you who were curious about the frog on T's head...this is the day that he caught that particular frog and decided to carry it around on his head for awhile. "He likes it there, Mom. It's kinda cozy for him." is what I was told when I suggested he put it back in the creek.


CaliforniaGrammy said...

Wow, what a big celebration weekend you had! And how nice for M's folks to be able to celebrate with you. But what a big bummer the "capsizion" must have been. I'm glad no one was hurt.

This blog makes me hungry . . . such yummo food all weekend!

And I just love T's buddy, the cute frog. This is a great picture of it, with such beautiful coloring.

I'm sure M loved having his dad to sail with. Great birthday weekend!

jennavar said...

Sounds like a great birthday weekend. The meals do sound yummy too. I think the frog looks very cozy! Too much!