Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Visit to Gladstone


My gramma was born in Gladstone, MI, so we took a bit of a detour on our way home to make sure that we visited her birthplace. Although she moved to California when she was three years old, you'd think that she lived in Michigan all her life. Whenever the University of Michigan was in the Rose Bowl (which has been a lot during my lifetime), my Grandmas would put Michigan colors and pennants up and sing the fight song. She has always been so proud of her homestate!
The town is just a little one in the "UP" (the upper peninsela of Michigan.) There's not really much going on in town. It looks like it used to be a big iron mining and railroad town back in the day. I'm very glad that I got to look it up, though.
Ever since I've lived in the midwest, she always asks me if I've been to Gladstone, MI. Well, now I can proudly tell her that...yes, I have!

5 comments:

Ken said...

She will love the fact that you went to see Gladstone. Can you send that photo to her. I'll bet she would pin it up in her room.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I'll be sure to remind her again that you guys stopped by her "hometown" of Gladstone. She's not quite as bright and perky as she used to be but I'm sure she'll get a kick out of you finally getting to see where she was born. Someday we'll have to do the same.

Middle America Mom said...

I'll be sending the picture to her with a card that I made her later on this week.

Aunt Patty said...

Grandma has just seen your blog and she loved all you had to say in it, and she's very glad you were able to see Gladstone. Nice to have this to show her while she's biding her time waiting to move into her new home. And you were there on my birthday as well!! Greatyou went there S!

Aunt Patty said...

We loved the picture!!