Monday, October 06, 2008

Apples are the Tofu of Fruit

We went apple picking when uncle D and Aunt J were here last weekend, so I've been making apple things lately. I started with apple sauce in the crock pot and an apple crumble pie. As the boys were eating the pie, T asked me what was in the recipe.

Me: There are apples, cinnamon, sugar, and a bit of flour
T: There seems like more to it. It's so delicious.
R: The apples taste all cinnoman-y.
Me: That's because they soaked up the cinnamon and now they taste like cinnamon too.
R: Oh, I get it. Apples are like the tofu of fruit!

R was remembering a conversation a few months ago when I told the boys that tofu doesn't really have much flavor of its own, but takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with. You gotta love when those synapses start connecting in those brains.



3 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Those boys just soak up knowledge like a giant sponge . . . and the best part is that they remember it! "The tofu of fruit." Brilliant!

A.J. said...

Oh yes, I love it. What a palette they have, "There's something more to it." Cracks me up!

I love these conversations, they are my favorite part of your blogs!

UD & AJ said...

We had a ton of fun with you guys. Seeing the boys push each other around the farm maze brought back memories of Uncle D and I, and M and Uncle R. We still haven't eaten all the apples, but I am making Aunt J eat four a day, can waste a single one. Love you guys.