Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Off of Buckets

R has had four hockey skating classes so far. Tonight, he got "off the buckets". In his class, the new skaters push around a few 5-gallon buckets stacked on top of each other. It's a great way for new skaters to have their independence and learn to rely on themselves for balance. At the last class on Saturday, R was on buckets for about half of the class and was skating without them for the rest of the class. He was able to skate by himself across the width of the ring three times without falling -- it wasn't that pretty, but he didn't fall! He was so proud of himself that day! Class is usually one hour long, but his class was given an extra 20 minutes of ice time that day. R looked really tired, so I went down and asked him if he wanted to go and get some hot chocolate or if he wanted to keep skating. He was too tired to actually answer me, but he pushed his mouth guard back into his mouth and took off across the ice. Crazy boy! When he finally got off of the rink, he had the brightest pink cheeks and the sweatiest head ever, but he was happy and proud!

I wasn't there tonight, but M told me that R was only on buckets for only about 5 minutes and skated on his own the rest of the time. That means, that it's time for him to get a hockey stick...which I'm sure he'll love! How can kids grow up so fast?

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Go R! I'm so proud of you and you're just five! Oh my gosh, what a sport! I sure wish I could see those rosy cheeks. Maybe when we come in May you can show us how you skate with all that hockey gear on, okay!